Tuesday, November 18, 2003 Meeting Minutes
Attendees: David Seymour, Evelyn Krueger, Mark Meritt, Jean Duntz, Brenda
Cagle, Christina Staubi (late).
Open the Meeting:
- Mark Meritt opened the meeting at 7:08
Minutes of Last Meeting:
- The minutes from the October 21, 2003,
meeting were accepted with no changes required.
Greens Committee (Brenda Cagle):
- The fall planting is complete. All trees
have been mulched and labeled. Still waiting on the bill from Integral
- Marirose Blum Bump is interested in
collaborating with the Village Green committee on behalf of the town of
- Will be ordering 4 new copies of the new
urban tree book, which is put out by the Urban Horticulture Institute at
- The Releaf Conference will be held in
mid-July. We should consider participating, as it would be good PR. Brenda
attended this conference last year and recommends it.
- A reminder that we need to update the
map that tracks the village trees. Need to indicate those removed, those
replanted, and those planned to be planted. Karen Cadorette currently has
- David Seymour brought up a concern
regarding the trees that were recently removed in the village. It seems
that some trees were erroneously cut down, probably due to a lack of
communication. Mark suggested that we investigate moving the
responsibility and funding for tree removal to the Village Green
committee. David will follow up and get back to the group.
- David also suggested that we review the
trees that were taken down before the stumps are removed. We may want to
replace some of the old trees with 2 new trees, depending on the property.
- On December 10, 2003, a couple of
Village Green members will be attending a free workshop sponsored by
Cornell University in Millbrook called “Urban Forestry Master Planning for
Small Communities”. We will review our tree inventory during this
- We agreed that we should use our Cornell
tree inventory information to form a master plan for 2004. We should try
to complete this master plan before spring. We should also investigate a
pruning program for existing trees.
Fundraising Committee (Evelyn Krueger):
- We have $4689.90 in the Village Green
- We have $4256.11 in the Village budget.
- We are still waiting to receive the
bills for the fall planting.
- A suggestion was made that, from now on,
all bills related to the Village Green should be forwarded directly to
- Evelyn submitted 2 forms to the group
- Form to request a tree (not through a
- Pledge that must be signed by people
receiving trees before any trees will be planted. The purpose of this
form is to help ensure that the trees will be cared for correctly.
After a lengthy discussion, a suggestion was
made to combine the form to request a tree with the form for a memorial
tree. Mark agreed to help with wording for this. We also agreed that the
final form should be posted on the website so that it is available to the
- Evelyn suggested that we hold a
“Bakeless Bake Sale” to help raise funds for 2004. She will create the
flyer to be included with the December water bill. Evelyn requested that
people meet at her house to help her fold the 800 or so flyers.
- Evelyn also suggested that we ask Dar
Williams to hold a benefit concert in 2004 to help raise funds for the
Village Green. Evelyn will follow up and get back to the group.
Communications Committee (Mark Meritt):
- We had a discussion about holding a
kickoff party in January/February of 2004. The purpose of this party will
be to help generate and maintain interest in the Village Green, and to
review our goals for 2004.
- Jean Duntz hopes to have our archive
book up to date by the next meeting
- We agreed that a formal duty of the
alternate board member (Christina Staubi) will be to take minutes and
maintain the to-do list.
- Tuesday, December 16th at 7pm in the
Motion to Close Meeting:
- Brenda made a motion to close the
meeting at 8:20 p.m. Jean seconded the motion.