Tuesday, May 27, 2003 Meeting
Open the Meeting:
- Barbara Campo opened the meeting at 7:05
Minutes of Last Meeting:
- The minutes from the April 29, 2003,
meeting were accepted with no changes required.
Fundraising Committee (Linda Keeling):
- Discussed 4 new possible grants that
are currently being researched.
- Captain Planet Foundation
- National Tree Trust
- IBM Fund for Community Service
- IBM Matching Grants Program
- Permission was given to Linda to
pursue the Captain Planet Foundation and National Tree Trust grants.
Christina Staubi agreed to look into the IBM grants.
- Should hear back shortly regarding
whether or not we were approved for the Chevron Texaco grant.
- We raised $4677.00 with the
Stewarts' Matching Gift program.
- We raised $251.50 during Apple
Blossom Day, with the fundraiser at the Red Hook Inn and the Hug-a-Tree promotion.
- Village budget will be voted in on
Monday. We agreed that once we receive our funds from the budget, we
should focus on paying our outstanding bills.
- As soon as we create our database
to track donations, we need to have a way to flag the people that
requested and received trees. This way we can notify them of
upcoming fundraising efforts, as well as any seminars on how to care
Outreach Committee (Joanna Fivelsdal):
Greens Committee (Brenda Cagle):
- Need to decide what to do
about the 2 trees that were planted by the Village Green
Committee and have died. Someone suggested that we follow up
with Adams to see if they guarantee their trees for any period
of time. Dave Seymour will talk with Karen Cadorette about this.
- Need to create an official
brochure that we can send to people if they want information on
dedicating a tree.
- Fundraising committee and
Greens committee need to collaborate on the guidelines for
dedicating a tree. They agreed to meet on Tuesday, June 10th,
at 7pm at the village hall.
- A suggestion was made to
create a "memorial page" on our website.
- A discussion occurred
regarding the possibility of creating new signs for the
Village of Red Hook. Dave will follow up with the mayor and
the village trustees.
- There was also a lengthy
discussion about creating a vest pocket garden between the
Chinese restaurant and the real estate agency. In the end, we
agreed that, because this is private property, we should not
take on such a project at this time. Instead, we should be
focusing on public property.
- Dave mentioned again that
the Red Hook garden club needs help maintaining their garden
in Memorial Park. Maybe we could get involved there?
- Linda suggested that we
brainstorm on ways to get kids more involved with our efforts.
- Get the 4H club involved
with sprucing up and maintaining the village parking lot?
Dave agreed to follow up.
- Need to get a Red Hook
teacher involved on the Village Green Committee.
- Need to put the
tree-gators on the trees by next week. Barbara Campo agreed
to coordinate this effort.
- Need to start focusing on
the fall planting. How many trees will we plant and where?
- We have started to receive
letters requesting that trees be planted in front of
specific homes. We agreed that we would send an
acknowledgement letter for each of these requests. We also
agreed that we will evaluate such requests on a
- Brenda will follow up with
Cornell University to determine if there are ways that they
can help us out.
Media Committee (Mark Meritt):
- DC Planning Department
is writing a feature article in their newsletter on the
Village Green accomplishments!
- In the next quarterly
water bill, we will thank everyone for their support
during Stewarts' week and during Apple Blossom Day, and
will publish the amounts that we raised. We will also
include a statement to let people know when/where we meet.
Hopefully, we will get some new members.
- Apple Blossom Day
Fundraiser (Barbara Campo):
- First, a HUGE thank
you to Barbara for organizing this event. Barbara put
in a lot of effort and we really appreciate all of her
- Barbara reviewed
some of the suggestions that she received for
improving our next fundraiser.
- All of the
musicians, the IGA, the Red Hook Inn, the businesses
that donated the door prizes, and the people who let
us use their signs have received thank you letters.
- Jeanne Duntz agreed
to become our official archivist and begin our first
scrapbook. Please give any relevant information to
- The next meeting
will be held Tuesday, June 24th, at 7pm in the Village
Motion to Close Meeting:
- Evelyn made a
motion to close the meeting at 8:20 p.m. Barbara
seconded the motion.