Tuesday, April 1, 2003 Meeting
Open the Meeting:
- Mark Meritt opened the meeting at 7:10
Minutes of Last Meeting:
- The minutes from the March 18, 2003,
meeting were accepted with no changes required.
- We agreed that we need to meet again
on April 8th and April 15th, at 7pm at the Village Hall, to continue
our preparation for the upcoming events.
- Tree City, USA ceremony on
Tuesday, April 22nd.
- Linda Keeling made arrangements
for the reception to be held in the South Room at the Elmendorph.
- Barbara Campo is coordinating
the rest of the event.
- Many people have volunteered to
bake refreshments for the reception. Contact Barbara if you would
like to contribute.
- Barbara mailed the invitations
on March 23rd. A suggestion was made to also send an invitation to
- The Media Committee will send
out a press release on April 11th.
- Greens Committee still needs to
determine the location for the tree that will be planted during
the ceremony. Need to give Dave Seymour a couple of days notice so
that he can have the hole dug in time.
- Arbor Day (Saturday, April 26th)
Tree Planting Ceremony
- Greens Committee needs to
determine the locations for planting the 12 trees. Dave requires
4-5 days notice to ensure that the holes will be dug in time.
- Apple Blossom Day (Saturday, May
10th) Fundraiser at the Red Hook Inn
- Barbara will be coordinating
- Will Smith agreed that his
2-man jazz band will play from 2pm-4pm.
- Brenda Cagle contacted the
Hudson Valley Folk Guild to see if they would play as well.
Waiting to hear back.
- Mark Meritt will play piano.
- Joanna Fivelsdal and her
father will play a few numbers on their guitar and flute.
- A reminder was made to send
thank you notes to the musicians who donate their time.
- We agreed that admission will
be $5.00 per person.
- With admission, each person
will automatically be entered in a door prize drawing. A
suggestion was made to have a couple of drawings; maybe one per
hour. Another suggestion was made to see if any of the local
businesses would donate the door prizes (Phantom Gardiner,
Adams, Holy Cow, etc.) Someone would need to contact them. We
could also raffle off Village Green t-shirts.
- The Media Committee will send
out a press release on April 28th.
- Karen Cadorette is working to
advertise this fundraiser in the promotional material that will
be published regarding Apple Blossom Day.
- We reviewed the To-Do list,
focusing on the tasks for the upcoming events.
- Fundraising Committee:
- A suggestion was made to
sell Village Green t-shirts at the upcoming events (the two
Saturday campaign days at the IGA for the Stewart's
fundraiser, Apple Blossom Day fundraiser, etc.) The cost
would be $15.00 per t-shirt.
- Dave Seymour agreed to
donate an antique toy Hess truck that we could raffle off. A
suggestion was made to hold this raffle on Hardscrabble Day,
and to ensure that we do a lot of advertising for the raffle
because it could be a big draw.
- Greens Committee:
- The Cooperative
Extension held a workshop on Community Landscapes in
Fishkill. Brenda attended on our behalf.
- Linda mentioned that the
Candle Foundation is accepting applications for grants
ranging from $1,000-$10,000. One of the categories in
which grants will be awarded is community investment. The
foundation seeks to fund innovative, high-impact,
low-overhead projects. Organizations that apply must have
- Media Committee:
- Brenda and Mark have
been compiling e-mail addresses for local media outlets.
- Franceska Urbin
drafted a press release to publicize the upcoming spring
- Franceska is working
with PANDA (channel 23) to allow the Village Green
Committee to take advantage of their Wednesday evening
program. This program allows community organizations an
hour of air time. She will contact them to see if they
are willing to video tape and air our Tree City USA
- The committee is also
working on individual press releases for the upcoming
- Outreach Committee:
- Joanna is working
with the Red Hook High School Environmental Club to
see if they will help us create a "tree-mometer" to
track our fundraising efforts. There was a discussion
regarding when and where we will display it. A
suggestion was made to display it outside the Village
Hall or outside the Information Center. When these
decisions are made (hopefully within before next
Friday), please let the Media Committee know so that
they can include the appropriate information in their
- We would like to
create posters to advertise our upcoming fundraisers.
Need to determine how many are needed, and what size
we would like. Also need to ask stores if they are
willing to display the posters. A suggestion was made
to display some of the posters on the community
bulletin boards in the village. Who is available to
make these posters?
- Joanna is working
with the Honor Society to see if they would be willing
to hand out flyers to publicize our Stewart's
- Jennifer Fivelsdal
has created a list of village businesses and is
organizing their phone numbers and addresses in a
- Lorrie Klosterman
bought leaves for the tree costume. If you are
interested in helping with the design, please contact
Motion to Close Meeting:
- Jen Norris made a
motion to close the meeting at 8pm. Brenda seconded